6 January 2016
The following information summarizes what is new in the edX Platform this week.
The edX engineering wiki Release Pages provide access to detailed
information about every change made to the edx-platform GitHub repository. If
you are interested in additional information about every change in a release,
create a user account for the wiki and review the dated release pages.
- A new Bookmarks feature allows learners to add a bookmark to any unit page so
that they can easily find the page later. On the My Bookmarks page,
learners can see the list of bookmarks they added either in the individual
unit, or throughout the course. For more information, see Bookmarking Course Content in the EdX Learner’s Guide or Bookmarking Course Content
in the Open edX Learner’s Guide.
- The “legacy” Instructor Dashboard is no longer available.
- The video player now includes closed captions. Users can view closed captions
and transcripts either separately or at the same time. Currently, closed
captions and transcripts use the same file.
- To increase accessibility, color contrast has been enhanced for some elements
of the Instructor Dashboard and the learner Progress page. (AC-177 and
- In the video player, users can now press the Enter key or the space bar to
show or hide transcripts. (AC-296)
- A problem that prevented the Staff Debug window from opening for some
problems has been fixed. (TNL-2896)
- In the HTML component visual editor, the Heading 1 and Heading 2 options have
been removed. The Heading 3 option remains available, and the Heading 4,
Heading 5, and Heading 6 options have been added. For more information, see
Use Best Practices for HTML Markup or
The Visual Editor in Building and Running an edX
Course, or see Use Best Practices for HTML Markup or
The Visual Editor in Building and Running an Open edX
- Course teams can now specify additional rules and exceptions for proctored
exams. An Advanced tab has been added to the settings for the subsection
that contains the proctored exam. For more information, see
Proctored Exams. (PHX-161)
- The graphical slider tool is no longer available. (TNL-3923)
- Courses that only have an audit track no longer have an option to create
course certificates. (ECOM-3117)
Version 2.0.2 of the iOS app is now available. This version adds the ability to
view HTML content and complete some types of assessments.
Documentation for edX Partners
Building and Running an edX Course
- Guidance for the most appropriate heading levels to use in HTML components
has been added to the Working with HTML Components
- Information about adding rules and exceptions in proctored exams has been
added to the Proctored Exams topic.
EdX Research Guide
Bookmark event information has been added to Bookmark Events.
Documentation for Open edX Users
Building and Running an Open edX Course
Guidance for the most appropriate heading levels to use in HTML components has
been added to the Working with HTML Components topic.